Though Vacation Bible School season has come to an end, it’s never too early to start thinking about next summer’s VBS. Now is the perfect time to get church members on board with the new theme and think about VBS fundraisers to garner the support and income you need for this important children’s ministry. From car washes to bake sales, there are so many fun ways to encourage funding, teamwork, and enthusiasm for VBS. Here’s a list to get you started.
Food and socializing is a favorite pastime for just about anybody, so these food-themed fundraiser ideas are sure to draw in a lot of support. Involve your youth group by asking them to set up and clear away tables and serve food. They can be involved in making the food, too.
- Potluck & silent auction: church members can donate a service such as cooking lessons or babysitting.
- Trivia night: offer a glimpse into next year’s VBS theme with Splash Canyon themed decorations and questions. Offer snacks and drinks for purchase.
- Picnic or BBQ: this is a good one to have outside, perhaps right after church.
- Ice cream social: consider having an ice cream bar with lots of toppings.
- Bake sale: have some good cooks in your church whip up their favorites for a good cause.
- Pancake breakfast: get a few adults to flip pancakes and youth can serve and clean up.
Community fundraisers are a great way to go. When people in your community know that you’re raising money for a good cause, they’re likely to donate or pitch in some work. This is also a good way to be a witness to your community. Hand out information about your church. The events can be spread out through the months leading up to VBS to keep the fun going.
- Car wash: this is a fun way to raise funds on a hot day.
- Yard work: get youth to rake leaves, mow lawns, or paint.
- Sell items: cookie dough, candles, and candy are popular.
- Trunk-or-treat or fall festival: host in your church parking lot.
- Yard sale: ask members to purge items they no longer need for a good cause!
- Walk-a-thon or Fun-run: have people donate a designated amount per mile walked or ran.
Other Fun Ideas
Then, there are always those ideas that simply need to happen for the sake of their fun factor. Plan a little family fun with these ideas, and invite friends. Advertising these events into your community is an easy, harmless approach toward a good time for everyone. Just ask for a small donation.
- Youth night/lock-in: encourage your youth group to invite friends.
- Board game night: have games for all ages and abilities available.
- Movie theater night: host a movie and have popcorn on hand.
Remember you can mix or match fundraising ideas that “fit” the ability of your congregation. We hope that you not only raise funds but also plenty of enthusiasm for your 2018 VBS. Be sure to share our 2018 VBS Website with your church family. May God bless your fundraising efforts!